Saturday, April 25, 2009

Such People Still Exist

I have been going to the La Quinta Inn parking lot once a week to connect to the internet.  Thankfully their wireless doesn’t have a password because it was the only place in town where I could get high speed internet so I could post pictures to this blog.


One day in particular was especially hot and miserable.  (My air conditioner needs to be charged, so I have to sit there in my own juices in the roasting car.)  This day sweat was dripping down my forehead as well as soaking my shirt.  I had just talked to my Mom and found out that my cousin who is in prison lost his Dad...  I am sure I had a sad look on my tired, hot face.  I was deep in thought as I ordered a book for my cousin’s birthday from Amazon.com


“Excuse me.”  I jumped and panicked as I saw the hotel card in the wrinkled hands of an important looking woman.  Peering up at her from the window I was sure I was “busted” for using the wireless internet.  I guess they do care if I sit out here and use their internet...  great, now where can I go? I thought to myself as I sheepishly replied “Yes?” to the woman.


“Are you getting a room tonight?”


“No,” I said guiltily, “I was just using the internet to buy a book for my cousin from Amazon.”


She looked at me incredulously and then at my computer as if she’d never seen such a thing before.  She obviously wasn’t buying my story.


“Honey,” she continued with extreme sympathy “here is the card for our room.  We already bought the room, and we are leaving today.  You can stay in our room.  We saw you sitting here and already asked the clerk at the desk.  She agreed that you can have our room tonight.”


“Thank you,” I stammered trying to understand what was happening, “but I don’t need a room.  I live right here in Marshall, just seven miles up the road.  I just come here to the parking lot to use the internet once a week if that’s OK.  After I finish ordering this book, I will go.”


She looked at me with a frown and extended the card again pleadingly, “Are you sure you won’t take the room?  It’s already paid for.  Please take it.  My husband and I want to help you.”


“No thank you.  I live right here.  I don’t need a room.  Really.  I’m OK.  But thank you.”


She walked over to the car that had pulled up beside me earlier, unnoticed.  As she got into the drivers seat, her very elderly looking husband questioned her “Didn’t she take it?”  I couldn’t hear exactly what she replied but she looked over at me and then sorrowfully shook her head no and said something about “...she SAID she doesn’t need a room...”  As they pulled away the husband looked over at me with great pity.


The first thing I did was look in the rearview mirror - what am I looking like?!?!?!  Some of my hair was escaping from my pony tail, but it didn’t look any crazier than usual.  My face was red from the heat and dripping sweat, but so was everyone else’s face in Marshall that day.  My car was not full of clutter like a homeless person; in fact it was completely clean.  At first I was offended.  What in the world was she thinking about me?


Later when I told Mom and Dad on the phone, they had a good laugh and then went on and on about how sweet the couple was.  They somehow figured me to be a girl in need, and decided to pay for a room for the night.  Such people still exist!  Even though they misjudged my need, they helped me.  I have a less cynical view of the people “out there.”  There are still “good Samaritans” who will do what they can to help the stranger in need.  (read Jesus’ story in Luke 10:26-37 and He practiced what He preached!)

No comments:

Post a Comment