Monday, April 13, 2009

A Knocking at the Door

These words bring to mind both excitement and fear. Even when you know that someone you love is coming, that knock sets up a whirlwind of thoughts and feelings!

My Aunt Arloa was like a grandma to my sister, brother, and I. She never had children of her own, so she spoiled us rotten. Aunt Arloa’s yearly visit was a huge event in our lives, second only to Christmas.

Mom would spend at least a week cleaning and preparing the house. We would plan the meals and have as much as possible cooked up ahead of time, so that every possible minute of the visit could be spent with Aunt Arloa rather than in the kitchen. There was a daily countdown: one more week and Aunt Arloa will be here!... only three more days and Aunt Arloa will be here!... Aunt Arloa is coming tomorrow!!!

On the day of her arrival there was always a flurry of “last minutes” that needed to be done. I recall that we kids were especially helpful that day. Everyone was “in a good mood.” That “special” feeling was in the air, and butterflies were in our stomachs.

The day would drag by sooo slowly! Aunt Arloa had a long drive to get to our house, so we never knew exactly when she would got here; but it was always in the evening. By evening time we were worn out with all the waiting! The excitement was just too much to take, so we would go back to “regular life” and play.

I do remember that my little brother, Matt, would be especially annoying at those times. Like most boys, playing with stuffed animals or “My Little Ponies” was too boring unless you could throw in a few tornados or earthquakes or something else destructive. : ) And being all hyped up about Aunt Arloa made the need for tornados more intense. We always ended up in a fight over how our play should go...

Knock, knock, knock. There was a scramble for the door and a shout - “Aunt Arloa is here!” Of course, we all heard the knock, but we all had to shout it anyway!

And then we would stand there... just looking at the door! To this day I remember the awkwardness of those moments.

I really was excited. But when the knock came I would always get an adrenaline rush that was not purely excitement. I felt scared too! This person was so nice to me last time, but would she be the same this time? She looked different every time she came; what would she look like this time? I have changed a lot since she saw me last; would she still like me? am I still cute enough to be lovable? does she know that I am not the sweet little girl she thinks I am? did Mom tell her how naughty I have been... will she be disappointed? will she still love me?

Once the door got opened, there were hugs and exclamations about how much we’ve all grown. There was luggage and presents to bring in, and I could be busy enough to stay in the background. Still, I felt the tension between excitement and fear.

We would sit down to eat and all through the meal I would listen and watch. By the time supper was over I felt like I knew Aunt Arloa again, and she had assured us many times over how much she had missed us and how special we were to her. Then the rest of the visit was only excitement! The awkwardness had passed.

Does a knock at the door do that to you too? Have you ever felt those butterflies, that excitement mixed with fear? Most people I have talked to can relate to that.

God must have known that our feelings about His return would be excitement mixed with fears. He uses the analogy of “standing at the door” to describe His coming.

He tells us, “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also when you see all these things [wars, famines, earthquakes, false prophets, lawlessness increased, love of many becoming cold, gospel going to all the nations Matthew 24] you know that He is near, at the very door.” Matthew 24:32,33

James 5:8,9 “You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.”

The verse that got me to thinking about all this is Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to Him and eat with him, and he with Me.”

As excited as I am to see Jesus, who is dearer to me than Aunt Arloa ever was, and even though I know of Him and can’t wait to be with Him, the thought of Him knocking at the door sets up a whirlwind of thoughts and feelings in my mind.

God knew this would be the case! He uses this very analogy to let us know that He knows! And He assures us that He really does love us and wants us to be with Him. He even has the meal in mind...

***************************

What would have taken away at least some of my fears about seeing Aunt Arloa?

What can take away at least some of our fears about seeing God when He comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment