Wednesday, May 11, 2011


Only three of us went to breakfast this morning.  I tried Masala Dosa for the first time (those who had been here before avoided it, having had enough their first visit).  It all tastes the same to me now - greasy and spicy.  I decided that the first thing I was going to do when I got back home was eat a very, wonderfully, bland bowl of oatmeal!

After worship I worked on the Bible study about the millennium and slept for awhile.

We left early tonight (5:30pm) to visit the village of our young Bibleworker/pastor (not the long-prayer pastor).  The old man who plays the drum and sings so loudly also lives here.  Their small church is next door to the village cow barn/feed lot.  There are 47 members, but only about 20 who come regularly.  As we shared a Word with them and sang, the microphone kept going out.  I asked the translator, Pr. Ravi, how much one costs.  It was 650-700 rupees.  (If I remember right a months wage for them was 160 rupees)  Our team split up to visit as many homes as possible.  Rachel and I went with Pr. Ravi as translator.  Some very poor homes in this village.  We prayed with one Christian family whose simple request was to know God better.  Visited some people who are coming to the meeting and hearing about God for the first time.

The Pastors traveling ahead of our taxi to lead the way to the village.

The village church
People creating a goodbye line as we left.
We got to the village late and the projector over heated but restarted later.  Tonight we talked about brushing your teeth and gave everyone a toothbrush.  They were pleased.  I was horrified to see some lay theirs on the ground...  tried to explain why they need to be kept clean and off the ground.  Many Indians are missing lots of teeth by the time they hit middle age.  They can’t afford toothbrushes of course.  It was my turn to preach.  We didn’t get done until 11:15 and then had to drive home.  Was so tired, but had to take a shower first - the visit to the village made it an absolute necessity.


Some proud toothbrush owners in Lisa's village.



No comments:

Post a Comment