Monday, March 30, 2009

Picturing East Texas

This is actually a sunset.  But since I cannot figure out how to add pictures to the bottom of my page rather than at the beginning...  we'll pretend it is a sunrise!


This is the little Seventh-day Adventist church in Marshall, Texas.  I live in the trailer to the right.  It has been a blessing to have a place of my "own" to come "home" to at night!


This is my neighbor.  She hasn't been visiting me much lately as she has a little family to take care of.  But she and her husband still come to my stump restaurant to eat sunflower seeds.


Texas has a lot of warblers that I cannot identify yet.  But this one I knew!  They pass through Iowa on their migration route - the Common Yellow warbler.  It's a blurry picture, but can you tell that he is so light he is perched on just a couple needles of the pine tree!


This cute and shiny beetle flew ahead of me for quite awhile one day while walking at a park.  I never saw such a friendly bug. : )  He even posed for a picture!


You probably can't see this clear enough.  It is an authentic Texas Longhorn!  It was on the outside of my kitchen window one night eating bugs that flew by.  I am glad he was outside, or you would never see my hand this close to such a ferocious beetle.  He was huge!


Found this herd while delivering drop-off Bible studies on a back road of Marshall.  It was a crazy, bumpy road and I felt like I was on safari.  When I saw these guys I REALLY felt like I was on safari!  There are about 30 of them and a few other odd African animals on this property owned by the son of the former judge of Marshall.  They are smaller in real life than I thought they would be - only about 13 hands high!  And they are VERY shy!



The ranches here in East Texas are mostly hobby ranches with fancy breeds.  I visited one that had about 50 head of cattle, mostly Semintals.  This little guy's Mom died...


Daffodils grow wild all over here in early February.  So pretty!


The only armadillo I have seen.  Unfortunately the coyote saw him first. : (


A bayou of Texas near Caddo Lake.  I always wondered what a bayou was.  In Iowa we would call it a run-off ditch.  In Michigan they call it a marsh.  Maybe they call it a bayou because in this part of the country there is always a run-off ditch close "by-you"?


The "knees" of cyprus trees (stick up out of the water so the tree can "breathe") - through their "knees."  It is strange, but that's the only way they would survive.  Created with forethought!


The cyprus trees at Caddo Lake with Spanish moss hanging down like uncombed hair.











3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are such wonderful pictures! I feel like I've been to Texas myself! I'm so happy to see you are doing well, and will continue to pray for you! God bless,
    Rachel Birch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel! Good to hear from you! How are things for you up in Alberta? Is your husband done with his apprenticeship yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toni!
    (Sorry for the long time I've kept you waiting for a reply!) Jesse and I are doing well, in BC again (happy for trees and mountains and water) and he still has a couple more years left in his apprenticeship, but he and I are praying and the Lord is answering all of our prayers! We now work for Inspirited Network, you can check it out at www.inspiritednetwork.com! Hopefully one day soon we will be able to move into full time ministry!

    ReplyDelete