Friday, April 30, 2010

You Can't Enhappy Joyfulness


One of the fruits of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22,23 is joy.

Trying to define some of these words is not simply a matter of looking in the dictionary. For example, my computer dictionary defines joy as “a feeling of great pleasure or happiness.” So one looks up “pleasure” which is defined as “a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment.” Ok.... So you look up “happy” and it says “feeling pleasure.” Really helpful...

One author made this distinction between joy and happiness that caused me to think: “Joy and happiness are not necessarily the same thing. Happiness is the result of favorable circumstances; joy, in contrast, is the result of being... Joy is a delight that runs deeper than pain or pleasure.”

I remember this quote from another book I read a long time ago: “Happiness is as variable as changing circumstances make it; but true joy is not dependent on circumstances.”

How true that happiness changes with the circumstances of life! I can be perfectly happy one minute when things are going well, and the next minute something bad will happen that squelches the happiness. It amazes me how quickly my emotions can change! It’s also very frustrating! But thankfully there is such a thing as joy - a delight that never has to change, because it’s source never changes.

Here is a list of things that make me happy (notice how they are all changeable!):

being with family and friends
reading a good book
eating yummy food : )
growing a garden and house plants
bird watching
flowers, sunshine... all beautiful creations
writing letters, etc.
helping people
walking in the woods, exploring new territory
seeing sparkles on the water
the feeling of flying
listening to pretty music
fixing things, understanding how things work
success in accomplishing anything
having my surroundings clean
watching kittens romp
seeing people learn something new
feeling silky fabric & hugging my teddy bear
having quiet alone-time

Here is a list of things that bring me joy (they are not dependent on circumstances):

the concept of eternity
that I was created
that God loves and wants to be With Me
promises to count on
existence of free will (choices)
the ability to trust or have faith
ability to think, ponder, reflect
that forgiveness is possible
hope that carries me through
past experiences that were wonderful (memories)
God’s infinite character

Probably I would have more joy if I would look for more things to add to my list. But usually I look for happiness rather than joy.

Interesting that in the English language we can enjoy happiness, but we don’t enhappy joyfulness. Joy comes from things higher than earthly circumstances can touch. It cannot be taken away from or added to.

Whether or not we are experiencing pleasure we can have joy. Whether we are 80 years old and bedfast, or 8 years old and doing homework, we can have the same joy. It is a blessing given to all people in all places at all times. Why don’t I think about it more?

No comments:

Post a Comment